Saturday, January 14, 2006

Happy Listening

Where’s the rhyme?  Where’s the reason?  What is it in the lyrics of say two of my all time favourite singer-songwriters, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen that strikes a chord?  Both of them are really hard to beat for a good lyric and a good melodic tune.  Both their music and their lyrics are brilliant and moving. They act mantra-like on my psyche.  Take, say one of Bob’s lesser known songs, “Every Grain of Sand” for a moment and let both music and lyrics of this brief excerpt work their magic for a moment on your soul.  Here’s just a brief snatch of the lyrics of this song:   

“I gaze into the doorway of temptation's angry flame And every time I pass that way I always hear my name. Then onward in my journey I come to understand That every hair is numbered like every grain of sand. I have gone from rags to riches in the sorrow of the night In the violence of a summer's dream, in the chill of a wintry light, In the bitter dance of loneliness fading into space, In the broken mirror of innocence on each forgotten face.”

(Album Shot of Love, 1981)

Or then again take the lyrics of any of Leonard Cohen’s songs and the same thing exactly applies.  Let’s take a brief excerpt this time from “Dance Me to the End of Love”

"Dance Me To The End Of Love" Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin Dance me through the panic 'til I'm gathered safely in Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove Dance me to the end of love Dance me to the end of love…

Dance me to the children who are asking to be born Dance me through the curtains that our kisses have outworn Raise a tent of shelter now, though every thread is torn Dance me to the end of love
Dance me to the end of love…


(From the Album “Cohen Live, 1994)

Happy listening!

No comments: