Monday, July 16, 2007

A Few Quotations on Personal Growth


In Pursuit of Wisdom

I have been besotted by quotations for years. I remember when I started teaching first in O’Connell School I had an alphabetically marked hardcover notebook into which I wrote sundry quotations from what I’d been reading. I used to give my 2.1 and 3.1 classes a quotation for each day that I had them. I have long ceased that practice. They were good kids who wrote down what teacher required of them. I now just quote them off the top of my head, if I chance to remember an appropriate one that is, and leave it at that. I suppose I’ve got lazy and somewhat sloppy in my approach to teaching, reckoning that if the quotation was meant to be caught by anyone it would stick anyway. This is probably not too good an approach on a pedagogical level I’ll admit, but given that this subject is Religious Education in its broad and non-exam sense one can afford to be so relaxed in approach.

Anyway in these computer days – I spend anything up to 8 hours a day writing, reading and blogging on the WWW during my holidays from school – I subscribe to Buddhist, Humanist, Self-help, Psychology, Philosophy and Spirituality sites and amass an amount of quotations. I have 11 separate files containing thousands of quotations. What a sad life! I do read them as I paste them in.

Anyway, I thought that for this post, I’d pick out some, and maybe proceed like this for a few days while I think of something more constructive to say in my posts.

 There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin


 Growth in wisdom may be exactly measured by decrease in bitterness. -Friedrich Nietzsche


 The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he forgives himself, he becomes wise. -Aiden Nowlan


These three quotations I highlighted in colour when I was originally pasting them into the word document because I thought they were profound. They all have a relevance to many of my previous posts which are indeed about growing up. In fact, they are directly concerned with the very motivation for my blog in the first place – my trying to make sense of the project we call life and also in exploring ways to make it more liveable and consequently to learn to grow into the person I really am becoming.

Above I have pasted a picture of a solitary rose in my front garden. In fact it was taken in November 2006

No comments: