Thursday, June 26, 2008

Raiding My Anthologies - Some Favourite Poems 1



Ah, the blessed days of Summer - even if it is raining - are long enjoyable ones.  I get to read, read and read and write, write and write.  These are old habits for me dating back to when I was a child.  My family always placed more attention on things of the mind than on worldly goods, of which we had little or nothing.  Anyway, I've decided to go raiding my bookshelves again - this time among my poetry books.  Today I stumbled on a lovely little poem written by James Joyce.  I have not seen this one - called Ecce Puer - anthologised much, but it is a lovely little thing on a par with Yeats' A Prayer for my Daughter.  Read and savour:

Ecce Puer

Of the dark past
A child is born;
With joy and grief
My heart is torn.


Calm in his cradle
The living lies.
May love and mercy
Unclose his eyes!


Young life is breathed
On the glass;
The world that was not
Comes to pass.


A child is sleeping:
An old man gone.
O, father forsaken,
Forgive your son!

James Joyce (1882-1941)

No comments: